81.79 ‘Sleeping Bitcoin’ From 2011 Worth $3.6M Moved for the First Time in Over a Decade
As bitcoin has increased more than 5% in value against the U.S. dollar during the last week, in less than seven days, the 19,000,000th bitcoin will be mined into existence. Meanwhile, on Sunday morning, 81.79 bitcoin worth $3.65 million today and created in 2011, moved for the first time since sitting idle for more than 11 years.
‘Sleeping Bitcoin’ That Sat for Over a Decade Moved on Sunday, Data Shows 14 Spends from 2011 Occurred This Year
- On Sunday, March 27, 2022, the price of bitcoin (BTC) has increased 5.8% during the last week, 14.8% over the last two weeks, and 16.4% during the last month. Year-to-date, BTC is down 18.9% in value against the U.S. dollar and there’s 18,995,393 BTC in circulation today.
- During the morning hours on Sunday, $3.65 million worth of BTC that were mined in 2011, was moved for the first time in 11 years. The ‘sleeping bitcoin’ transactions were caught by the blockchain parser Btcparser.com. Data shows that the 50 BTC, that was sent on Sunday, originated from mined BTC that were issued on January 30, 2011.
- Interestingly, unlike many ‘sleeping bitcoin’ subsidy rewards that sit idle for more than a decade, the 50 BTC transfer has a 100% “healthy” privacy rating stemming from Blockchair’s privacy-o-meter tool. No privacy issues were discovered according to Blockchair’s tool.
- The 50 BTC from January 30, 2011, were worth $2.22 million at the time of transfer at block height 729,187.
- Following the 50 BTC spend from 2011, another group of ‘sleeping bitcoins’ from August 30, 2011, were sent from the original address after ten years and six months. This particular spend was approximately 31.793